By Georgina M. Montgomery,Mark A. Largent
- Covers subject matters together with astronomy, agriculture, chemistry, eugenics, great technology, army know-how, and more
- Features contributions by way of the main comprehensive students within the box of technological know-how history
- Covers pivotal occasions in U.S. historical past that formed the advance of technology and technology coverage corresponding to WWII, the chilly conflict, and the Women’s Rights movement
Read Online or Download A Companion to the History of American Science (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History) PDF
Best history & philosophy on science & nature books
Historical traditional heritage surveys the ways that humans within the old international considered nature. The writings of Aristotle, Theophrastus, Strabo, Pliny are tested, in addition to the preferred ideals in their contemporaries. Roger French unearths that an identical natural-historical fabric used to be used to serve the needs of either the Greek thinker and the Christian allegorist, or of a taxonomist like Theophrastus and a collector of curiosa like Pliny.
All of it all started with Markus Jochum impending one among us (HvS) – “when you men are doing interviews with senior scientists from oceanography and similar sciences, why are you no longer doing Walter Munk? ” certainly, why no longer? Walter Munk, an icon in oceanography, had simply given an excellent speak in a symposium in honor of his ninetieth birthday, sweeping a grand circle from his earliest paintings with Chip Cox on airborne measurements of ocean floor roughness to the most recent satellite tv for pc facts – now not easily a evaluate, however the fight of an lively scientist commencing up new views – as inspiring and stimulating as whilst certainly one of us (KH) rst met him on the Ocean Waves convention in Easton in 1961 (Fig.
This quantity, first released in 1921, offers a chain of pics of Einstein, hence providing glimpses within the personality and personal reflections of the guy who replaced the process glossy technology. meant neither as a biography, nor as a résumé of Einsteinian physics, Einstein: The Searcher as an alternative focusses on Einstein’s courting with the clinical undertaking as he himself conceived it, and so continues to be of up to date importance for these questioned via the spirit of medical enquiry.
Charles Darwin is definitely the main recognized scientist of the fashionable age, and his conception of evolution is continually referenced in lots of contexts through scientists and nonscientists alike. And but, regardless of how often his principles spring to mind, there is still a stunning volume we don’t learn about the daddy of contemporary evolutionary considering, his highbrow roots, and the technology he produced.
- "The Sigma Passion" Part 1 (Noetic Positivism)
- Building the General Relativity and Gravitation Community During the Cold War (SpringerBriefs in History of Science and Technology)
- Reading the Book of Nature: An Introduction to the Philosophy of Science
- Why Beliefs Matter: Reflections on the Nature of Science
- Science in Reflection: The Israel Colloquium: Studies in History, Philosophy, and Sociology of Science Volume 3 (Boston Studies in the Philosophy and History of Science)
Extra info for A Companion to the History of American Science (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History)